Saturday, October 20, 2007

Childhood Obsessions

Turn your sound on for this one!
(I moved the song, find the David Bowie song while reading.)

Growing up I think most of us had slight fascinations, and to call them obsessions might be taking it too far. Yet, perhaps for a few weeks it might have been an obsession, and so my title remains.

As a 5/6 year old, I decide that I would become a nun. At night I would put a t-shirt on my head and look in the mirror, it was my apostolnik (scarf). I’m sure my mom was worried when I approached a group of nuns at a store, and asked them, “How come I never see them at church?”


After realizing nuns didn’t get married, we come upon the next phase. It starts by watching a middle aged man who looks trans-gendered jumping around with puppets while wearing tights. Oh yes, this is the “Classic David Bowie Phase,” brought on by watching the movie the Labyrinth. You will only understand if you watched this movie frequently. I wish this was my only connection to the 80’s, but it’s hard to escape this time period not being a victim.


Big hair is next, and if it wasn’t big at least it wasn’t moving. Lots of hairspray was the trick, and my hair was covered in it. My hair was so coated that I was made fun of at a St. Louis school bus stop for having my hair so coated (I was in first grade). My mom claims that I insisted, but I know she was into the hairspray just as much as I was. As you can see, this obsession lasted the longest. I’m around thirteen in this photo. At least the hair isn’t as big as Bowie’s, but it was getting there.

There are many more! What were some of your childhood obsessions?

5 comments:

Amy said...

That last picture is the CUTEST thing ever!!! I love it!!! Those thirteen year old pics are the best!!!! Love the swans in the backround.

Jason, Alyson, Kaci, Brynley & Ashlynn said...

Gotta love the 80's...aqua net was my best friend back in the day! I can't believe how much things have changed since then...fun times!

Trena said...

My childhood obsession was 1) kissing my poster of Sebasbian Bach (lead singer for Skid Row) and 2) taking every stick of lipstick I could find in any color and apply it to my lips. I would come out with a crazy color. I loved it!

Amy said...

Just wanted to stop by and say HI guys!!!

carrfamily4 said...

I absolutly love the 80's...Permed hair and funky eye shadow. gotta love it. I love that you wanted to be a nun. So cute. Lets get together soon. Are you guys in Long Beach.
Julie